Sunday 26 March 2017

Being au pair - the horror begins in June!

I've heard about many organizations that support young people. Considering all my knowledge about it, I made a huge mistake. I become an au pair. I went to Spain to... I have no idea. To waste my time.

What does the agency always lie say?

1. You will become an extended part of a new family. If every domestic help were treated as a family member, the world would be more beautiful.

2. Host family offers room and board. I was sleeping in a children's bed. I'm so skinny (and short) that they should have offered me a crib.

3. You are taking on new responsibilities, but you will spend time with a wonderful family. Seriously? Once host mum told me that I'm straight-laced and the only hope for me was to have a casual sex.

4. If you're keen on studying foreign languages - it's a perfect job for you. My dream was to speak Spanish fluently. Host kids didn't have a smattering of English so host mum called the agency to change the contract. So I had to speak English all the time.

It was an unforgettable experience, but I didn't develop life skills or make friends with many people. I just explored Spain and taking care of children almost leads me to a crime :D

1 comment:

  1. Oh gosh, this sounds horrible! It's not the first time I've heard of such bad experiences in Spain. There must be something strange concerning au-pair services there. Was it just one family in your case? I guess you're not going to try again, are you?

    ReplyDelete